Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Believer in a Time of National Judgment

Habakkuk prays, asking God: Why do You show me iniquity--plundering, violence, strife, contention; the law being powerless and justice being corrupted in the nation of God's people? God answers that He will raise up a wicked nation to invade and destroy the nation of God's people because of their wickedness.

Habakkuk asks why would God use a people more wicked than they were to invade them and have victory over them. God answered that the wicked invaders, after they had brought judgment on God's people, would then themselves be judged of God for their pride, idolatry, and blasphemy.

Habakkuk then responds with intercessory prayer: "O Lord, I have heard thy speech and was afraid: O Lord, revive thy work...in wrath remember mercy (Ha 3:2)." Habakkuk notes that though he trembled (at what God had shown him), he was able to "rest in the day of trouble (3:16)."

Not only could he rest, he could rejoice: "Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines; the labour of the olive shall fail, and the fields shall yield no meat; the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls; yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation (3:17-18)."

How can Habakkuk rejoice as he sees God's judgment bring foreign invasion, destruction, famine and poverty to his land? Habakkuk understands that after judgment, God's people will repent and return to faith in Him. He also knows that God protects the righteous: "The Lord is my strength and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places (3:19)."

For personal application, one must ask himself: Am I one of the "just;" i.e., one who has been justified, or made righteous in the sight of God by means of His plan of salvation through His Son Christ?

And secondly, ask: Do I live by faith; i.e., Christ in control of me, living out His life in me through moment-by-moment surrender of my will (my plans, my agenda, my desires) to His will?

The just, who are living by faith (Ha 2:4), can rejoice with Habakkuk in the midst of God's refining fire of judgment as it comes on this nation.


No comments:

Post a Comment